Obsessed with Breakfast

Wednesday, November 14, 2012
Have I mentioned lately that I am obsessed with breakfast? I think a lot of people's impression is that a low-carb breakfast is all about eggs and bacon -- I do eat both but rarely for breakfast. Lately I have expanded my breakfast fare so much that I posted about it here and here, lol....and yet HERE I am posting about it AGAIN!! 




I think part of my obsession comes from the fact that I wake up hungry -- I mean H.U.N.G.R.Y!! Really, I have little in the way of hunger after the morning is over and always cut off eating at dinner SO I wake ready to eat. That coupled with some new ideas on what to have for breakfast has me dreaming of what to eat.

Pumpkin-Ricotta Hot *Cereal*

1/2 cup ricotta cheese (full-fat, I used Crystal Farms brand)
1 egg
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup pumpkin puree (Libby's 100% Pumpkin)
pinch of salt
1-2 tsp granulated sweetener (depending on how sweet you desire)
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (or 1 Tbsp SF French Vanilla coffee syrup)

Toppings:
2 Tbsp flaxseed meal
1 Tbsp finely chopped walnuts
sprinkle of cinnamon
1 Tbsp heavy whipping cream

In a small sauce pan, mix the ricotta and almond milk. Add egg and beat well. Add pumpkin, salt, sweetener and spice and whisk until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring the entire time. Bring to a boil and continue cooking 1 minute. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes. Pour into bowl, and top with desired toppings. Makes 1 (large) serving.

Each serving: 400 calories, 14.72g carbs, 7.4g fiber = 7.32g net carbs



This next dish doesn't have a name -- sad, I know. Around here I have been referring to it as my FAVORITE breakfast - currently it is. I am known to eat it for a quick supper on rushed weekdays. I probably would eat it 3 meals a day given the chance. In fact last week I packed up 2 bowls of this and carried breakfast in to my friend Rose at work -- well either she also really, really liked it OR she was just being really, really nice and humored me, lol. I really have to give credit to my friend Beth who inspired this recipe -- 

Gail's Favorite Breakfast

The night before assemble:
1/2 cup cottage cheese (full-fat -- Daisy brand is the lowest carbs I've found)
1 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
sweetener of choice (I used 1 pkt Stevia in the Raw)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup no-sugar-added blueberries

Right before eating top with:
2 Tbsp flaxseed meal
2 Tbsp finely chopped walnuts (or nuts of choice)

Each serving: 349 calories, 16.14g carbs, 7.0g fiber = 9.14g net carbs




On this particular morning I had a little guest for breakfast and he enjoyed his version of Gigi's favorite breakfast :)
Oh, this is SO good!!

What are you eating for breakfast?