Old-Fashioned Bake Sale ~ Banana-Sour Cream Loaf

Thursday, August 11, 2011
Cooler temps have me dreaming of lots of wonderful things from the oven. Since I have an ever-growing stash of frozen bananas, I figured I'd share my staple banana bread recipe and bake a favorite of everyone here. The recipe comes from Gooseberry Patch's *Made From Scratch* -- one of my favorite GBP books and this is the moistest banana bread recipe I've ever tried. Besides freezing my over-ripe bananas, I try to have a few loaves of this wonderful bread in the freezer. Comes in handy for quickie hostess gifts or a treat for unexpected company.


Banana-Sour Cream Loaf
(Printable Version)

2/3 c. butter
1-1/3 c. sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 c. bananas, mashed
2-1/4 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. sour cream
1 c. chopped nuts (I ALWAYS use 1 cup mini-chocolate chips instead)

Cream butter and sugar together; add eggs and bananas, beat until smooth. In a seperate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, soda and salt together. Add dry mixture alternately with sour cream to banana mix, blend well. Fold in nuts (or chocolate chips) and pour into a greased 9x5-inch loaf pan; bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Makes 8 servings.