Book Review - The Foxfire Book of Appalachian Cookery

Monday, August 10, 2009


Anyone who isn't familiar with Foxfire, should take a few moments to look over this site The Foxfire Fund. Such a wealth of information. Years ago I found a website (which is now gone) that had all the old Foxfire magazines published on it. At that time, I scoured that site and printed reams of stuff to read and implement later. I learned so much and was so taken with the folks who contributed to these articles. Maybe I read too much Christy when I was a girl but I was very taken with the Appalachian people. Still am.

Last week while I was shopping our local public library (as a homeschooling family, I learned long ago that we love too many books to own them all, so I only purchase books that really are *keepers*), I found The Foxfire Book of Appalachian Cookery. What a wonderful book! Very much the same feel as the magazine and the *folks* are well showcased. Simple recipes for simple dishes. I just loved this book and will be adding it to my personal library.

I'm sharing what I baked from the book yesterday for breakfast. Just wonderful with our homemade strawberry jam.

Scottish Scones

2 cups self-rising flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
½ c milk (I used buttermilk)
¼ c butter
1 egg, beaten
Mix together dry ingredients, blend in liquids, and knead with additional flour. Flatten to one inch and cut out into approximately 12 scones. Bake 10-12 minutes at 450 degrees. Serve with butter and preserves.